Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Reviewing: Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis



Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.



I read this book a couple days ago and figured I should write a review for it since I've had 0 ideas for anything else. 

You'll probably enjoy this if you enjoyed the Hunger Games. Wanna guess why?

EVERYBODY DIES.

EVERYBODY.

It's not like I expected much else-- this is set in a dystopian, futuristic setting with guns and death-- it says it clearly in the synopsis.

Lynn makes sure people who come to the pond leave thirsty, or don't leave at all. Yeah. And that's just it. I expected people to die-- just not ones that I cared about.

And lemme tell ya-- it was hard to care about Lynn. She was not an instantly likable character. At least, not for me. She was tough, she was angry, she was stubborn, and she didn't mind blowing someone's brains out with a rifle. No second thoughts, just BAM.

This book had constant shooting, and it was tense. Lynn's constantly checking over her shoulder and doesn't trust anyone. Until, well, she meets a trio of people that I can't tell you about because of spoilers.

The main key throughout the book is this: We have to survive, and we need water to do that. 

Water. Water, water, water, water.

And Lynn and her mom have a pond.

Pond = source of water.

Source of water = competition for source of water.

Competition for source of water = not good.

So, yeah. The smoke? The footprints? Nighttime visits?

It's all because of the water. They're basically like this:


And Lynn and her mom are like:


And about the romance? I thought it was cute, but I wasn't really into it, ya know? I just... I couldn't feel that they really loved each other. You know how in some books you're just like-- "THEY'RE A PERFECT COUPLE, THEY REALLY LOVE EACH OTHER, AND THEY NEED TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER."

It wasn't like that for me.

It was a serious work-in-progress. And I still felt like Lynn didn't deserve him.

SORRY, OKAY? I know the girl's been through some rough stuff but that doesn't justify the killing sprees she goes on. Even if she's just killing coyotes.

All in all, this book was okay. It kept the action going, and the secondary characters were awesome. Lynn just seemed too, dunno, harsh... to love. There weren't that many plot twist, and in my opinion, the main one was tossed aside too easily to really shock me. It was like-- OH, THERE IT IS-- and then Lynn was like-- Doesn't matter. This does not affect our plans for world domination in any way. (minor exxageration)

So it was tossed aside. I didn't really get to be shocked, it was over that fast.

I liked the main idea, I just felt like it could've gone deeper than it did.

3 stars.

Bye, guys!



Later,

Tansie G.




No comments:

Post a Comment