Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Reviewing: Mind Games by Kiersten White

I don't like rating books badly. It makes me feel cruel, sad and guilty. I mean, what if the author reads my rating and review? They worked really hard on it-- poured time and energy into all the details. So, yeah... you probably guessed it already, but I didn't really like Mind Games.


I was really pumped for this book. The cover was awesome, the synopsis was awesome, and from what it said, I was expecting a lot of awesomeness. Clearly. I did think it sounded a bit like What's Left of Me, simply because they're sisters on the run from evil government people who want to control them and possibly kill them. 

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

Things I was expecting:
  1. An awesome sister relationship. Incredible loyalty, love, and trust.
  2. Action scenes. A lot of action scenes.
  3. Not a lot of romance. A little on the side, perhaps, but there seems to be more going on. Like trying not to die.
I'm not sure how to describe how I feel about this book, so I'll break it down.

1. Reading from Fia's point of view was like reading from a lunatic's point of view.


That's a bit harsh, so I'll try to explain why. 

The writing style. It's so hard to stay involved in the story when all she does is talk about James (her love interest), her hands (she can't stand them), and her fingers tap-tap-tapping on whatever surface she can find. I get the feeling it was supposed to be haunting, but all I could think was that Fia is obsessive over certain things that I just don't understand. Also, her emotions come on so strongly. She doesn't get bothered, she gets furious. Her feelings aren't hurt, she's absolutely devastated. I understand that her life has been horrible. She's been tortured and tricked and treated like trash, so it's normal that's she's gone a little insane. But I just couldn't feel sympathy for her.

Here's an example of her narration:

"I have no idea. My plans changed about five minutes ago." I look over my shoulder to see the men, three (tap tap tap - I hate the number three), thick shoulders, one gun between them based on the way the guy in the middle is walking (that was a mistake, they should all have guns - guess they'll find out) matching our pace and getting closer.

She just cuts off and completely leaves the topic for a split second. The style was like it was trying to copy Shatter Me (which I loved), but I just didn't get the same feeling.

2. The love interest.

James. The object of my wrath. The guy is a jerk. And Fia is completely in love with him. I thought she had fabulous gut instincts? Apparently they don't work around James because she is suddenly goo whenever she sees him. I get it, he's good looking. She's attracted to him.What I don't get is her obsession with him.

3. The ending.

The ending left me completely furious.

At Fia.

I'm sorry, but the girl had issues. I was mad at Annie a lot, don't get me wrong. She was clingy and deceptive. But Fia was angry at Annie for something she had no control over. She ignored one of Annie's visions because she was mad at her. And then she did something that contradicted every single thing ever said about their relationship as sisters.

And I was left seething long after I finished reading the book.

So, Will I read this again?

No.

Will I read the sequel?

Probably not. It depends on whether or not my sister borrows it. 

Rated 1 star.

Later,

Tansie G.

No comments:

Post a Comment