Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Reviewing: The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones *Movie

Okay, the reason I'm doing a review of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones so late after the movie's been released is because I know some people weren't able to see it right away, and I didn't want to slam spoilers in their face. I'll still try to make this post spoiler-free, but if there's something dropped in here, my sincere apologies.


Let me start off by saying this: In my opinion, the book is way better than the movie.

I had really high expectations for every character, every plot twist, every tiny detail. I kind of wanted it to be like Catching Fire is. 

But no. Here's a list on my opinions -- because I love lists. Seriously, I love them.

  1. Lily Collins did an okay job in my opinion. I know a lot of people hated her, but I didn't mind her.
  2. Jamie Campbell Bower did an okay job, too. He wasn't exactly what I expected for Jace, but then I haven't seen an actor who is. Jace is just Jace. 
  3. Alec was not what I expected either. Kevin Zegers is a good actor, but I didn't really enjoy his representation of Alec.
  4. Magnus Bane was awesome. How could he not be? I loved his character. Not as much as I did in the books, but a lot all the same.
  5. Simon was good. He was a lot closer than most of the other characters to looking like the character he portrayed. 
  6. Isabel. Was. Awesomesauce. I loved her. She was so kick-butt and awesome with her whip that was, like, this golden snake, and her sword and-- she was just awesome. 
  7. Hodge. I liked Hodge too. He was okay, but mainly because I didn't spend much time thinking about what he looked like.
  8. On the humor, I did not like it. Well, a couple times they were funny. But most of the times I just arched an eyebrow and was like "that was way funnier in the book". Plus, humor in the wrong places, people. It was like "no! Those two people did not have that social interaction!"
  9. Vampire bikes. There were none. I was very disappointed. 
  10. Luke and Jocelyn were both good -- I forgot to mention them in the above flow of character judgment, but here they are. 
  11. All in all, the movie was very mediocre for me. I didn't really enjoy it, it was just sort of there. I had high expectations and they weren't met.
Well, that's all for this post.

Later lovelies,

Tansie G.

No comments:

Post a Comment