Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Tossed Salad

(Pardon the weird title. I'm running low on ideas. Also, it's symbolizing the mixed randomness that is this post.)

I joined my first-ever 1000 word contest over at Go Teen Writers around mid-March and got my feedback April 1. I was terrified. The 1000 words I'd sent in were rush-edited and my second time writing the opening scene for my book. What if it was bad too? What if it was nightmarishly horrible and reading it was a traumatizing experience? What if they read it and just went


Bracing myself, I clicked on the e-mail. 

And IT DIDN'T SUCK. 

It was actually really nice (read: EXTREMELY AWESOME). Apparently my descriptions are really good. As are my cliffhangers. Then again, I ended with a person holding a gun to another person's head so...

I also read the last two books in the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking. I read and reviewed Switched (the first book) a while back. It was pretty good-- a 3.5 but I'm super strict on ratings, just ask my sister-- so I decided to buy them when I spotted them at the bookstore I go to. I had pretty much the exact same problems with it that I had with Switched. I felt like the focus wasn't in the right area. The romance was too rushed. The main character, Wendy, didn't really think things all the way through.

Her blind love was exactly that. Blind. Wendy didn't care if it would endanger her or endanger someone she cared significantly less about. She would do it because she wanted to be with that person. She would deliberately go against everything he would tell her. It was infuriating to me. She's going to be the queen. She should buckle down and focus on improving her powers and learning more about her kingdom and how to rule it.

I had a few more problems with it but those include spoilers.

At this point, this review probably sounds like a severe book bashing. And I'm sorry. I tried to like it! I really wanted to! But the issues from Switched just grew in Torn and Ascend

On a different note, I recently watched Frozen again-- this time with my whole family. It looks a lot better on the TV screen then on my computer. I was watching everyone very carefully the whole time. Not obvious at all.

Well, that's all for today. 



Later,

Tansie G.

No comments:

Post a Comment